Monday, April 30, 2012

Srength In Porportion to the Work to be Done

So this week I´ve learning some pretty powerful lessons.  More than that, I feel like I´m really becoming someone that I might actually like to be.  I hope that doesn´t sound prideful.  Let me explain.


I was reading in the book, Our Heritage this morning about the early saints, who forged their faith in God as they forged through difficulties in the planes of America.  While their trials make mine pail in comparison, I felt so powerfully the ability to relate to those early saints, that I started to nearly cry.  Sometimes things are just so hard that the only thing that keeps you going is the powerful Spirit of God constantly reassuring you of what you are becoming.


Not to make you assume that this week was all blood, sweat, and tears.  Mostly just sweat and tears with a tiny bit of blood (got a bloody nose on Thurs for anyone who cares to know).  This week was actually the most successful week I have ever had on the mission.  I couldn´t really believe it.  While the trials were well enough that I can´t properly describe in this blog, our success was really quite miraculous.  Right up until the end.  Finally, when it comes down to seeing who finally comes to church in the end, no one did.  We passed for a whole bunch of people, and no one wanted to come, not withstanding the fact that they had all committed to do so.  Finally, we went to the house of Josué.  His mom is trying to reactivate, and he is only 11 years old, but he wants to be baptized.  He´s doing a great job showing that he´ll be active despite his lack of support at home, so I think we´ll do it.  We passed by his house, and although we were late, he came.


We were kinda bummed, but happy that we at least had one.  Our goal was five.  Half way through the meeting, Josué wanted water, so I walked him out.  A sister came up to me; ´´¿ellos son sus investigatores?´´  ´´Are they your investigators?´´  I couldn´t believe it.  The one family that we forgot to go invite in the morning had come all on their own.  More than that, the wife brought a friend!  Haha.  It was great!  We walked them into the meeting, and they stayed for Gospel principles.  In gospel principles, there was another Family!!!  We hadn´t even recognized them in the Sacrament meeting.  We had received their information from the elders in our neighboring area.  Elder Gomez had contacted them while on splits, and I had never seen them before.  We couldn´t pass by their home because of how far away they live.  They paid for a taxi to get there.  Happy.


So there we seven in the end, and two families!  I was more than happy.  The Lord pretty much taught us two weeks in a row that he will pretty much send who He wants to church.  All we have to do is keep working.  We´ve decided to change the way we work to put more priority in those progressing (coming to church) and less on everyone else.  Kinda makes sense huh....?


Really, it was pretty humbling.  The Lord super effectively and basically showed us that no matter how effective we are as missionaries, it doesn´t matter.  The work is entirely in His hands.  So the only thing that you can really do is focus on how you can be worthy enough to receive the blessings.


I wish I could go into all the details of the week.  More specific histories were sent to individual friends and family, and any historian (that´s you Mom) wishing to chronicle the details of this week would benefit from compiling these records. :)


I just want everyone to know how much you are missed and loved.  Specifically, I am praying for my friends in the McIntire family, who are going through some tremendous challenges at the moment.  I hope they don´t mind my publicly expressing my love for my friend Michael and his family, and asking publicly that you all remember them in you prayers.  More importantly, those nearby, please remember them in your services.


For those of you who may miss me, please keep in mind that I miss you more.  I´m also happier than I´ve ever been.


I love you all.


Les quiero un montón,


Elder Kent Thalman

No comments:

Post a Comment