Monday, June 18, 2012

Start From the Beginning and Don´t Skip Steps and Keep Moving Forward.

So the title is a personal thought that I had several weeks ago.  Sorry for the silence last week.  I literally had no time to write a blog... kinda stinks. 

Honestly, I have no idea what to write about this week that I can really share.  A lot of personal stuff this week, but not much else.  I´m going to start loosing readers if I keep this up.  Haha.

The other day I was on a bus, and I decided to talk to a lady who sat by me.  Contacting on the bus can be really nice because they can´t run away,  and you can really get to know them before sharing anything.  When you´re  on their porch, you kinda have to cut to the chase sometimes... haha.  But you know they´re not busy if they´re on the bus.   I was talking to this lady named Liliana, and she had a little boy named Owen.  I asked if she knew the actor Owen Wilson... you know me! 
She actually said that she did!  Haha, I was surprised.  And she knew the movie Midnight in Paris, which really made me happy........... okay, ADD moment sorry.


I started talking to her about her family, and how she felt about it.  Turns out she´s already legally married!  That´s really, really rare.  She seemed pretty receptive, so I talked to her about eternal families, and that God wants her and her family to stay together for time and all eternity.  Some people just think, "amen brotha, adios." but this lady really seemed to comprehend that this was something that only our church had to offer.  She called us later, and I couldn´t help but think of the scene from Best Two Years... "it´s him!"  Haha.  That was really cool, and I can tell this family is a great possibility.


I´m getting to the point where I can tell when people get our message and accept it, when they know it´s true but are too afraid to change, and when they just don´t get it.  Sometimes the last one is frustrating... we´ve got an old lady that we´re teaching; yesterday was her 70th birthday or something.  She gave us cake, which was awesome, but the lesson was pretty tough.  It´s really hard for her to understand, and she can´t see enough to read.  Bummer.


But some people just straight up know it´s true and refuse to change.  That´s hard to see, because you can just tell that they know.  But they just won´t accept it.  And the majority just don´t care. 
But God always seems to lead you to the people who really want to change.  From there, it´s  your job to be worthy of the Spirit, and to work hard so you can help them.  That´s the whole key.  There´s really not much more than that.


I had a pretty sudden Spiritual experience randomly this week.  I´m not sure what it was, but I was listening to a cover of "I Stand All Amazed" and the words just hit me.  It just became very clear to me, and I was just filled up inside with love for my Savior. 
Directly after, it seemed to give me a clear mind to want to be obedient for that reason.  I feel like I´ve been really obedient so far my whole mission, but I´m starting to understand why God gave me that added witness.  Lately there seems to have been a total and complete attack on my resolve to be obedient.  And everytime, it seems ever so simple.  Because of the love I have for my Savior, and the gratitude I feel for His atonement, I simply can´t disobey.  Sometimes the last written words of Nephi will fill my head.  "I must obey, amen." 
It´s incredible, but I really feel that way sometimes.  I just keep having it made clear that if you truly love, you will obey.  Nothing is possible in this work without the Spirit.


I testify that Jesus is the Christ.  There really is no doubt in my mind anymore that He infact came to earth, suffered and died for all sins and all people.  He specifically did so for me.  I know it.  I can not deny it without calling upon myself the greatest of condemnations from God, reserved for those with a witness.  I really just can´t even imagine denying it.  It´s true, and my heart bursts with great joy and confidence before men because of it.  I feel no fear to be obedient.  No fear to try and be like Jesus Christ.


I love and miss every one of you!  Congrats on your call Brian!  You´ll do great out there.  and you´ll be able to teach me German in two years :P 


Until next week,


Elder Kent Thalman

No comments:

Post a Comment