Friday, February 3, 2012

Continue in Faith

So this Tuesday was EPIC. It was the 50th anniversary of the MTC and Elder Russell M. Nelson came with Elder Holland!!! So cool. Elder Nelson talked about our heritage as missionaries, and those who went before us. I loved his message. It made me think of those who have gone before me. My father is most of what I aspire to be as a missionary. I constantly apply the things he has taught me now that I am here. I remember him because the name he gave me, Thalman, is on my chest every day. My brother Scotty served two years as well, and I stole his name tag before leaving. :) My sister Challis has also served. I have a bracelet from her that I wear durring gym and P Days. There are so many more whom I look up to. Brother Marchant has a heritage in my very mission. I always loved hearing his stories about his mission in teachers quorm. It's such an honor to be serving in Honduras behind his footsteps. I could go on, but I have short time. Elder Nelson spoke about some of the great missionaries. One of the best was Dan Jones, who served in Wales and converted thousands. Before his missions, he was with Joseph Smith just before he died. That night, Joseph asked Dan Jones if he was afraid to die. Jones replied, "Do you think that time has yet come? I do not think that, engaged in such a cause that death would hold many terrors." I love this. Sorry if I didn't quote it verbadum, but it's super close. I can relate to this because I'm going to San Pedro Sula. It's actually the most dangerous city in the world. Statistically speaking. Don't get me wrong. I don't expect to die. But I don't really fear it either. As I've been on this mission, God is helping my will to align with His. I feel slowly that fear or anxiety is fading. I don't worry about anything because through listening to the Spirit, I can always do what God needs of me. Everything that happens is in His hands. Elder Holland said something really cool. "God bless you to be what this church thinks you are." To many, the missionaries appear flawless or perfect. For many converts, the missionaries are angels. But we all struggle so much with all sorts of things. I hope that through obedience, i can live this prayer of an apostle and be what those who love me think I am. Our investigators are increasing in numbers and in faith. Elder Welburn and I are teaching several people now and one is native Peruvian. I'm sure most of them are actors for now, but the Peruvian might be real. Not sure, but it is great practice. his name is Carlos and he is super hard to understand. Thank goodness for my companion! We're actually learning from each other because he has a huge vocabulary and I understand much more grammer than he does. Speaking of Elder Welburn, it looks as if things are turning out okay with his body. He may even get to go to the field soon. Or he'll stay a few more weeks. It's mostly up to him, but I'm glad he donesn't need surgery or to go home. Thank you all for your prayers on his behalf. Hopefully I'll have him as my comp for a littlle longer. There are simply too many wonderful experiences for me to relate. I will try to take better notes next week so i can remember everything that has happened. There really have been a ton of little miracles. Simply needed a scripture, and not knowing where it is. Then I open to Doctrine and Cov. and the page I open to is where the exact scripture is. Either that was a 1 in 20,000 chance coincidence, or God is looking out for me and is looking over His work. Another small thing was thinking about one of our investigators and thinking what they should read in the Book of Mormon. I then received the thought, "have him read the story of the people of Alma in the waters of Mormon." Then I didn't know exactly where that was... "Mosiah 18?" Honestly, I'm not that good of a guesser. The Spirit is really starting to guide my thoughts. That story did more than help us teach about baptism. It literally illustrates Lesson 3: The Gospel of Jesus Christ. Read it and see. Pretty cool stuff. Faith, repentance, baptism by immersion, receiveing the gift of the Holy Ghost, and even Enduring to the End. I can testify that the Lord is over this work and that He loves us all individually. I love you all and miss you all. Please don't hesitate to write! Les amo mucho!!! Elder Thalman

No comments:

Post a Comment