Monday, May 6, 2013

Youth of Zion


This week we had a baptism for Gerson.  He's a young man, and really cool.  We had the luck to plan his baptism at the same day as a youth activity, so there were basically all of the members of the young men and young women at his baptism present.  A lot of support, which was cool.  While he was changing, we just had all the youth come up and bear their testimonies.  The meeting was presided by the teachers quorum pres.  hahahaha.  That's what's up.  But it must have been impressive to his mother, because afterward, she told us that now she wants to get baptized too.  And all of Gerson's little girl friends too.  haha, they're just his neighbors.  But is was a cool experience.

We read ch. 8 of first Nephi with Hno. Cano.  This is a family that would be baptized already if he didn't study on Sundays.  But in the future, the missionaries are going to be thanking me.  haha.  But this guy is really smart, and already has a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon.  We read the chapter with him, and then after, I asked him where in the vision did he think he was.  He, with little if any hesitation, said, "grabbing on to the end of the iron rod."  What a perfect answer.  He was literally holding it in his hands.  Some reap, and some sow.

This Thurs, it got to literally 100 degrees F and 98% humidity.  Killer.

But lately it's been a little cooler... but my comp cant tell the difference yet.  haha.  He's pretty much just always dying, and sweating like crazy. haha.  poor guy.  And the hunger has finally hit him.  That happened to me my first area.  He still can't eat much though.  yesterday we had to eat dinner from a lady unexpectedly.  No big deal.  Thanks hermana.  Then we left for our really dinner appt.  We get there, and she puts the plate in front of us... my comp just gives me a look of death. hahahahaha.  So concerned.  I ate mine like it was nothing.  Spencer Vance... trained me well.  Mission prep baby!  But this poor kid was dying to get that last bite down.  Good times.

My mother has told me to go into fifth gear and stay there until the end.  I've never had the opportunity to drive stick, so I assume that means work really, really hard.  haha.  Can do.  Rather than make any dumb eleventh gear phrase, I'll just say, I'm going into 110% mode.  I don't really want to do anything less.

I love being a missionary.  I love it more than any other thing that I've ever done in my life.  It is the most challenging thing I've ever done.  I don't even think that I have it all down yet, and I'm supposed to be helping other missionaries figure it out now.  But may God send me angels and may His Son's Atonement make my weaknesses into strengths.  Let me be better, and maybe you'll see the difference when I get back.  I know that Jesus Christ has called me to this work.  I know that this is His mission.  I'm just participating.  But whatever effort I put into it, is the measure of joy He will grant me therein.  I love Him.  I love these people, my brothers and sisters.

Elder Kent Thalman

P.S.  Funny quote from several months ago: "I really don't feel like beating my head against that dead wall."  Sometimes I get tired... I think there were at least two idioms mixed in that sentence.  :P

No comments:

Post a Comment